Paul Truman Halvorsen, 85 of Arcadia, passed away on Saturday, May 20, 2023, peacefully at Mayo Clinic Health System in La Crosse, WI.
Paul was born on December 22, 1937, in Blair, WI to Tilman and Eleanor (Lien). Paul graduated from Blair High School in 1956. He married Mary Lou Halvorsen (Amundson) on November 30, 1957, at Zion Lutheran Church in Blair.
After marrying, Paul and Mary Lou moved to Stillwater, MN, where Paul worked for Bluff City Lumber. They moved to Arcadia in 1964, where they started a family and purchased Halvorsen Lumber Co. in 1974, which he successfully ran until he sold it to his sons in 2007. Paul enjoyed playing and watching sports, being on the river, spending time with friends and family, and serving his community any chance he could.
Throughout his lifetime, Paul had a passion for serving others. He was rewarded for his many accomplishments and achievements including but not limited to:
- Member of Army National Guard 1955-1964
- WIAA state high school star - basketball, track, and football
- Charter member of Blair Lions Club 1958
- Chairman of Broiler Dairy Festival - First Festmaster 1999
- Instrumental in starting Arcadia representation in the Miss Wisconsin pageants in 1977
- Special Deputy for Trempealeau County for 23 years
- Lions Club Melvin Jones Fellow Award recipient
- City of Arcadia Businessman of the year - 1992
- Member of the Arcadia Industrial Development Corporation (AIDC)
- Arcadia Chamber of Commerce - Honorary Lifetime Achievement Award - 2010
- Instrumental in the building of the Lions Club Pavilion and BBQ Pit and served as its Chairman starting in 1991 up until his passing.
Paul is survived by, daughter, Kay (Rudy Vanbeuzekom) Halvorsen of Trempealeau; son, Erik (Sally Haines) of Trempealeau; daughter-in-law, Sara of Arcadia; 8 grandchildren, Jeffrey (Shannon), Cole, Allison (Alli), Casey (Madelyn), Treyce (Mackenzie), Charlie, Sidney and Miranda; 6 great-grandchildren; brother, Martin (Diane) Halvorsen of Hudson, WI; and many nieces and nephews. He was preceded in death by his parents, wife, and son, Jeffrey.
A visitation will be held on Thursday, May 25, 2023, from 2 - 5 p.m. at the Arcadia Lions Club Pavilion (551 Memorial Park Dr, Arcadia, WI 54612). A Memorial Service will be held at 5 p.m. with Reverend David Johnson officiating. Food and beverage to follow.
In lieu of flowers, please consider making donations to the Arcadia Lions Club in honor of Paul. To leave an online condolence for his family, please visit www.wozneykillianfh.com.
To send flowers
to the family or plant a tree
in memory of Paul Halvorsen, please visit our floral store.